I've had lots of friends and people ask me to write about my Rules of Life. (They are too kind.) There used to be 7 and now there are about 42. I might be wrong about everything, and that’s alright, but these are some of the things that help me carry on after life’s little disappointments. And I’d also like to think that following them is helping me a better friend to have and person to be around. Mostly, they are helping me to be kinder and more gracious. I could use lots more of those two things.
1. We are all doing the best we can.
2. We all have blind spots.
3. You don't know everything and you're not always right.
4. Admit it when you’re wrong and say that you’re sorry and ask for forgiveness.
5. Sit with something as long as you need to in order to accept it, and then move forward.
6. Sometimes you just gotta brush ya shouldas off and keep on hustlin'.
7. Never make anyone feel like crap about anything. Ever.
8. Carry each other.
9. Pray huge. Always.
10. Don't lean on "maybe" and "supposed to." If it should have, then it would have. If it should, then it will.
11. Work hard and be nice to people.
12. You can do hard things.
13. Find out what you love, and learn how to ask for it.
14. Never drink to feel better. Only drink to feel even better.
15. If you can’t get out of it, get into it.
16. Actually feel what you’re actually feeling.
17. Don’t say it if you don’t mean it.
18. Know when to persevere, but also when to turn around.
19. You can’t stop bad things from happening.
20. Your life won’t be easy or hard forever.
21. Bloom where you’re planted.
22. We see what we need to see when we’re ready to see it.
23. Don’t get flashy and order a new kind of sandwich when you’re already having a bad day.
24. Refuse to be reduced by what other people say or think about you.
25. Want love and help more than you want people to think you’ve got your life together.
26. Be flaky if you want to. Life is too short to do things you don’t want to do.
27. But know when to suck it up and get your sweet little self there.
28. You’re not doing half as badly as you think you are.
29. Be optimistic about your own life.